Saturday, June 8, 2013

Check-In #3

Starting weight: 205 lbs.
Last week's weight: 197 lbs.
This week's weight: 195 lbs.

At some points throughout yesterday and today, the scale was reading 194. But the official weight is a little higher.

I'm pretty happy to have lost my first ten pounds, all in three weeks. Honestly I wish I could have lost more, but hey, this is good progress. I feel thinner, in the sense that my fat rolls don't feel as dense as they used to. I can bend down to pick something up and not need to hold on to something for balance. I still feel some weight when I stand up off the floor but it's not what it used to be.

Part of me wants to treat myself to something yummy to celebrate this weight loss. Perhaps an ice cream - just one. And I think I will also do this at every ten pound milestone.

I started a summer job on Tuesday, and will work three days a week for up to five hours. That should add in my physical activity quite a bit.

And now, a confession. This crossed my mind Sunday at church and I almost wrote about it, but decided not to. Then it occurred to me again today. I was doing my routine walk around the park and had stopped at a concession stand to get a bottle of Gatorade. Ahead of me were a group of people, who were probably between the ages of 10 and 50, waiting in the line. And all of them were overweight. I actually felt appalled by these people. Why would they do this to themselves?

Immediately I knew I was wrong for looking at them in such a manner. It was hypocritical and judgmental. Hypocritical because, let's face it, I'm still fat. I have another 25-30 pounds to go before I could be considered "not fat," who am I to look down upon them? And even if I were in the best shape possible, it would still be wrong because I would be judging them when I am hardly the ultimate judge. It is not Christian nor is it kind to think of those people that way. Perhaps I do it because I see something about myself in them that I don't like. Regardless, one of the things I will need to work on in addition to losing weight is not having a "better than them" mentality, because I know I'm not intrinsically better than anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of this? Keep replies decent and non-insulting. Or I will delete them. ^.^