Thursday, May 10, 2012

Post 36: An Alternative Lifestyle

The other day, I was thinking to myself. I don't want to settle for the 9 to 5 job life. For the longest time I felt like I wanted to get into freelancing, since it offers much more flexibility. I can work when I want on what I wish to work on. Hopefully I would be able to make a good income off of this. Then I thought, I really wouldn't mind just being a part-timer. That is, if the job wasn't something I was really passionate about. 


I'd like to think of myself as not much of a materialistic person. There isn't very much that I actually need. I don't own very much stuff, and (excluding furniture) what I do have could probably fit in a car trunk - clothes included. I wouldn't mind getting a cheap apartment that has cable, telephone and quality Internet access, along with running water and air conditioning. I'd spend most of my free time on the computer, anyway. If even a part time job could provide enough money that I could pay off the necessities and still be able to live comfortably, I'd be all set. I just really don't like the idea of giving years of my life to a job that I don't even have passion for and leaves me so tired when I'm done that I don't have the energy to follow my dreams. I see this way too often and I'm somewhat determined to stay out of that rut.


I'm also a morning person. I don't mind the idea of getting up at like 7 or 8 in the morning. I have a friend who lives on a farm and he does all sorts of errands. I would guess he usually starts his work around 8 or 9 and goes on until maybe 2 or so in the afternoon. I rather admire that work ethic he has and would do well to adopt it myself. A sustaining part time job that would be over at about noon or 1 PM would, then, be almost ideal for me. 


So what would I do with the free time, then? Probably take the chance to pursue my dreams, the thing I really want to do. Perhaps do freelancing. Write a book, try to make money via the Internet. Do more with my ministry. I wouldn't want to waste all this time though, by doing pointless ventures. Perhaps unfortunately, I'm thinking in terms of dollar signs. I do wish to monetize my skills and if the job I have doesn't use them, then I would probably look for other ways to do so. I would try to have fun, of course. Another advantage of being done early in the afternoon is that I could socialize with friends, who have similar work schedules. 


I'm quite inspired by various people I've discovered through gaming, who either don't have full time jobs or don't actually have a job proper. Etho, who is currently my favorite Minecraft gamer, admitted today he's a horticulturist, a seasonal job. Most of his income comes from his videos. Kurtjmac quit a job he disliked many months ago and has devoted most of his time to YouTube  videos. He's saved up quite a bit of money to support himself and there's a "tip jar" where people can make personal donations to him. Then there's the Yogscast, who presumably make tons of money and don't seem to have actual jobs. I see these people follow their video and gaming passions and are able to monetize those. I'm good at writing, programming, and ministry (though I certainly don't intend to make money off of that), and could also possibly work in some teaching role. Maybe, just maybe, I can escape the rat race and do stuff a bit more meaningful and satisfying than the normal 40 hours a week life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of this? Keep replies decent and non-insulting. Or I will delete them. ^.^